The Hopscotch Design Festival is taking shape with today’s announcement of more than two-dozen speakers from across the country.
Notable participants include Harper Reed, the chief technology officer for the Obama for America campaign; Alexander Isley, founder of Alexander Isley Inc.; Anne Atkins, lead graphic designer for Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel; and Brian Singer, a communication design team manager for Facebook.
These speakers and others will take part in sessions throughout the day on Sept. 3 and Sept. 4 in locations throughout Raleigh including Flanders Gallery, CAM, the Lincoln Theatre, Kings and Fletcher Opera Theater. The event wants to reflect “Raleigh’s strong foundation in design,” according to organizers. For more on the festival’s mission, see David Fellerath’s feature on Hannah Ross, Hopscotch Design director.
There are more participants still to be announced, but along with the ones named above, others revealed today were:
• Sarah Miller Caldicott, great grandniece of Thomas Edison and an expert in applying Edison’s innovation methods to modern organizations
• Doug Powell, Design Education Program Director at IBM in Austin
• Elle Luna, the San Francisco-based designer, painter and writer who has worked with IDEO, Mailbox, and Uber
• Maurice Woods, the Founder and Executive Director of the Inneract Project
• Cliff Bleszinski, the former Design Director at Epic Games
• Mitchell Silver, the former Raleigh Planning Director and current Commissioner of New York City’s Department of Parks and Recreation
• Rob Cotter, the Founder and CEO of Durham-based Organic Transit
• Matt Tomasulo, Chief Instigator behind Walk [Your City]
• Apple Juice Kid and Pierce Freelon – Co-Founders of the Beat Making Lab
• Elliot Montgomery – Co-Founder of The Extrapolation Factory
• Jake Levitas – Organizer and Designer focused on Civic innovation
• Jarin Tabata – Creative Director at SYPartners
• Katie Potochney – Creative Director at SYPartners
• Lee Noble – Musician and Designer; (also playing Hopscotch Music Festival)
• Pamela Abalu – Global Head of Design and Construction for MetLife Inc.
• Sha Hwang – Designer on Healthcare.gov team
• Tim Myers – Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of North Carolina Opera
• Tristan Shone – Musician and Engineer (also playing Hopscotch Music Festival)
A two-day pass to Hopscotch Design is $150. There is also a two-day “Add-On” pass for $75 that is only available for attendees who buy, or have already bought, a VIP or 3-Day wristband to Hopscotch Music Festival. Passes are on sale at www.hopscotchdesignfest.com and etix.com.