INDY Week is seeking a Creative Director to join our team. INDY has been serving the Triangle as a progressive, free, weekly news source for nearly 40 years. Competitive salary, health insurance coverage at no cost to the employee, company matching 401k, and flexible remote/office working setup. Come join the team and support independent journalism throughout the Triangle.
• Design and/or art direct covers, lay out editorial content, design feature spreads, and create illustrations and graphics for weekly publication
• Manage part-time photographer and graphic designer, coordinating photoshoots and art directing illustration, and layout design
• Design yearly glossy magazines as needed.
• Coordinate weekly production, including laying out editorial and ads in a master document, communicating with the team and printer, and preparing and exporting pages for print
• Work with the advertising department to design client and house ads, process camera-ready artwork, and upload ads for layout
• Create a variety of digital materials, including web ads, social media ads, editorial graphics, and newsletter templates
• Create a variety of miscellaneous print and digital materials, including envelopes, stickers, holiday cards, campaign graphics, social media graphics, and miscellaneous promotional materials
• Develop in-house ad campaigns and materials for INDY Week Press Club, Best of the Triangle, and advertising special sections
• Great organizational skills and detail-oriented
• Ability to work on a quick timeline, as we are a weekly newspaper
• Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud (primarily InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator), with excellent InDesign skills
• An associate or bachelor’s degree in graphic design, branding, or other related fields; or equivalent experience exhibited in a strong portfolio
• Portfolio exhibiting proficiency in print design
• 3-5 years of related experience
• Journalism experience is a plus
• Experience in creative directing is a plus
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to editor-in-chief Jane Porter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and publisher John Hurld (email@example.com). We look forward to hearing from you!