Raleigh’s Lynnwood Brewing Concern won third place at the 2017 U.S. Open Beer Championship, placing it among the top ten best breweries in the world.
For the ninth year in a row, the competition included breweries from the U.S. and abroad, pitting talented home-brewers against professional operations. Another North Carolina outfit also made the top ten list: Boone’s Appalachian Mountain Brewing came in seventh.
Competing among 6,000 beers, Lynnwood won third by taking home three gold medals and one bronze. The golds went to Lynnwood’s Hop Sauce IPA, Hop on Top Strong Pale Ale, and the Once You Go Black Ale, which apparently swayed the judges despite its incredibly racist name. (We can do better, y’all.)
The full list of top ten 2017 breweries is as follows:
1. Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative – Cumming, Georgia
2. Black Tooth Brewing – Sheridan, Wyoming
3. Lynnwood Brewing Concern – Raleigh, North Carolina
4. Cigar City Brewing – Tampa Bay, Florida
5. Ecliptic Brewing – Portland, Oregon
6. La Quinta Brewing – La Quinta, California
7. Appalachian Mountain Brewing – Boone, North Carolina
8. Guadalupe Brewing – New Braunfels, Texas
9. Revelry Brewing – Charleston, South Carolina
10. Cameron’s Brewing – Oakville, Ontario (tied)
10. Straub Brewing – St Marys, Pennsylvania (tied)